How do you remove stains on carpet from dog vomiting all the time? And prevent them from constantly doing this? Vinegar is a natural deodoriser that can neutralise the nasty odour of vomit smells.
Mix together a cleaning solution comprising of one part distilled white vinegar, two parts warm water and a squirt of dishwashing liquid and gently wash off the vomit stain with a sponge, or cloth. Mix 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 ammonia, rub into the carpet and use a brush to rub it in.
Take a clean, damp cloth and rub to get the excess out. To remove vomit stains you can use this formula and use an iron over a damp cloth to help remove stains on the carpet also.
How to Clean Vomit from Carpet with Vinegar
- Uses a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water. The vinegar helps with the odor
- Spray enough vinegar/water solution to wet the stain. Do not saturate the carpet. Let this work for 30 seconds.
- Vacuum using a wet/dry vac or blot the stain with a clean dry cloth, soaking up the stain. Replace the cloth as it becomes wet. Repeat until no more stain is transferred onto the cloth.
- If the stain persists, try dabbing it with a solution of 1 teaspoon blue Dawn dish detergent and 1 cup of water. Blot to remove liquids and vomit residue.
- Rinse detergent from stain by dabbing it alternately with a damp cloth and a dry cloth. Blot to dry.
How to Clean Vomit from Carpet with Baking Soda
- Remove any excess vomit with a towel.
- Sprinkle the remaining vomit generously with baking soda. This will absorb the liquid-ness of it and help to deodorize it.
- After waiting 15 minutes to allow the baking soda to absorb the moisture, scrub the spot with a scrubbing brush to loosen anything else. To make sure nothing stays stuck.
- Vacuum up the baking soda mess.
- You can use that try some Spot Shot and blot it up. You may have to repeat the Spot Shot a few times. . Let the cleaner absorb into the carpet or furniture . Let it set for about 5 minutes.
- Pat the spot mostly dry with a clean cloth. This is to remove the dampness and prevent it from causing any problems as well.
Here are step by step very easy for clean vomit from carpet with the pictures:
How to Clean Vomit from Carpet without Baking Soda
- Scrape up solids with a spoon or dull knife. Blot up as much of the stain as possible with white paper towels.
- Neutralize the stain by spraying the area with a solution of 1 tablespoon ammonia and 1 cup warm water. Do not use ammonia solution on wool carpets! Just skip down to the next step.
- Sponge the area with a solution of 1 teaspoon mild, non-alkali detergent and 1/2 pint lukewarm water. Continue to apply detergent and blot with paper towels until the stain is removed.
- Once the stain is removed, spray lightly with water. Place an absorbent pad over the damp area and weigh it down with a heavy object. When no more liquid is absorbed, remove the pad and allow carpet to thoroughly air dry.
- If an odor remains after the area is dried, sprinkle the area with baking soda. Let it sit for a couple of hours, then vacuum.
How do you get Dried vomit smell out of carpet?
Dried vomit is one of the toughest stains to remove. If the vomit is dry the baking soda will not help much at all.
Try to scrape up as much vomit as you can. Since the vomit has been dried, working with a spatula or some sort of scraper should do the trick . By removing this excess vomit will help you later on.
- Moisten the dried vomit. All stains that are fresh and wet are easier to clean, just blot the area with old damp rags or some ever reliable paper towels or anything that you could throw away after, nobody wants to reuse something with vomit stains on it. Always blot, never scrub it as it can make the stain worse.
- Apply a generous amount of the enzyme cleaner to the affected area. Let it sit for a while and blot it again with a clean damp towel.
- Repeat if necessary. Sometimes multiple applications of an enzyme cleaner might be necessary depending on how bad the vomit stain is.
- If the smell and stain had been removed completely, then let it air dry.
Once it has been air dried, vacuum the spot to let your carpet regain it’s fluffy and soft texture.
Like every other carpet stain for cleaning vomit stains is the sooner, the better. The longer the vomit sits, the further it will soak deeper into the carpet. Even if the room is well ventilated and you have followed the instructions above for how to clean vomit from carpet, a nasty odour may persist. If this is the case you may need to take some of the following extra steps:
Use a steam cleaner according to the manufacturer’s instructions to do a deep clean of the stained area. Steam kills germs and bacteria that often result in bad odours. After vacuuming the area, always dispose of the contents and replace the vacuum bag to prevent odor and bacterial growth inside the vacuum.
If you’re in a hurry, you can use commercial cleaners that are specifically designed to stay on the carpet and air-dry. They also remove the odors from the fabric.
Spray the stained area with a commercial carpet deodorant or a combination of water and a few drops of essential oils you like. For faster cleaning, use a wet vac or a carpet shampooer.